Tuesday, July 1, 2014

June 2014 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


June News

Another great month. Nine books last month, 10 books this month. Summer is the best.

I kept up my surge through my On Reserve list and, while I did not meet my self-imposed quota on the 100 Best Novels list, I did make it through one of the longer selections from the list, which I am pleased about. Good enough for me.



Books Reviewed

  1. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
  2. One Night in Winter - Simon Sebag Montefiore
  3. Howard's End - E. M. Forster
  4. As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner
  5. Chasing the Sun - Natalia Sylvester
  6. Elizabeth the Queen - Sally Bedell Smith
  7. Submergence - J. M. Ledgard

Books Read

  1. The Engagements - J. Courtney Sullivan - 6/1
  2. The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mohsin Hamid - 6/2
  3. Anne of Ingleside - L. M. Montgomery - 6/3
  4. Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn - 6/4
  5. Relic - Heather Terrell - 6/8
  6. Downton Abbey and Philosophy - William Irwin - 6/10
  7. Don't Try to Find Me - Holly Brown - 6/17
  8. Five Days at Memorial - Sheri Fink - 6/21
  9. The Sweet Life in Paris - David Lebovitz - 6/23
  10. Angle of Repose - Wallace Stegner - 6/28
Pages Read: 3,375

Favorite Book Read: Not since December when Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night took top marks has a Modern Library pick been my favorite book of the month. For June, Wallace Stegner's Angle of Repose is joining that list.

100 Best Novels Progress

  • 1 completed this month (Angle of Repose)
  • 26% complete 


Articles

Don't have lots of time to read? Here are 15 great works of fiction you can complete in 30 minutes or less.

Things that make readers angry. This is my life. 

BuzzFeed has a list (obviously) of books that should be movies. Seriously, #10. It's time.

EpicReads compiled a list of 30 YA Books That Will Change Your View of the World. Some of these are definitely overrated, but some are really solid.

Oh look! Buzzfeed did the same list but with only 26 world-changing books. For the record, BuzzFeed released their list seven months before EpicReads and is not limited to YA books.

It's unavoidable. There are some truly wonderful books with terrible endings. Personally, I think a few of these selections are crap and absolutely don't belong on this list (HARRY POTTER?!), but everyone is entitled to their own opinion....I guess.

As always, the requisite list of books you won't be able to put down. I even read #3 this month!

Still haven't found the perfect beach read? Here are 10 solid contenders. I can personally recommend #1 for any time of year. 
~     ~     ~
Here's hoping July & August are great book months, too. Last year, they were my "busiest" reading months. I certainly wouldn't complain if I hit that mark again.

What are you reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment