Friday, August 1, 2014

July 2014 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


July News

So, I have some big news to share. Well, big for us. Kevin and I are moving to North Carolina! After almost three decades, I'm finally getting out of Ohio. We move at the end of August, so this month is going to be a bit insane. Everything happened really quickly, but we are beyond thrilled about this opportunity. I am going to transition to working remotely, at least for a little while, but, eventually, will be a full-time grad student who actually devotes full time to her studies. Once I finish my program, we hope I can pick up some online teaching jobs to supplement our income.

As for the blog, nothing should change here. Thankfully, I've been able to write posts a few weeks in advance this summer, so I'm hoping the move doesn't even slow down my posting. Reading will probably have to take a back seat in August, but I'm looking forward to having more time for it this fall!

Looking back on July, it seems crazy that at the start of the month, we didn't even have a move in our immediate sites and, now, we're totally overwhelmed with all the details. I guess that's how it works.

I was thrilled to jump back up to three posts per week this month. After slower months this spring, I was definitely ready to kick things back into gear. I hope you've been enjoyed having more frequent posts.

I even brought back Movie Monday this month! The Book Thief and The Monuments Men were both movies we had on our Netflix queue for a while, so it was fun to finally get to watch them.

For you detail lovers like me, here's the rundown of July happenings...



Books Reviewed

  1. The Engagements - J. Courtney Sullivan
  2. Anne of Ingleside - L. M. Montgomery
  3. Don't Try to Find Me - Holly Brown
  4. The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mahsin Hamid
  5. Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn
  6. Downton Abbey & Philosophy - William Irwin
  7. The Sweet Life in Paris - David Lebovitz
  8. My Paris Kitchen - David Lebovitz
  9. Angle of Repose - Wallace Stegner
  10. Relic - Heather Terrell

Books Read

  1. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad - 7/1
  2. People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks - 7/7
  3. The Way of All Flesh - Samuel Butler - 7/11
  4. Princesses Behaving Badly - Linda Rodriguez McRobbie - 7/14
  5. My Paris Kitchen - David Lebovitz - 7/16
  6. On the Road - Jack Kerouac - 7/21
  7. From Here to Eternity - James Jones - 7/25
  8. I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends - Courtney Robertson - 7/28
Pages Read: 2,891

Favorite Book Read: People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks has been one of my favorite newly discovered authors this year.

100 Best Novels Progress

  • 4 completed this month (Heart of Darkness, The Way of All Flesh, On the Road, and From Here to Eternity)
  • 30% complete 


Articles

29 Reasons Reading Will Actually Ruin Your Life - #10. That's me when asked about books or ice cream.

Gone Girl is coming!

And so is Sharp Objects!

Are you still hunting for a beach read? Buzzfeed has you covered.

10 Things You Probably Didn't Know About The Giver - Great Lois Lowry interview

22 Signs You're a Muggle in Denial

14 Book Covers Before and After They Were Turned Into Movies - Original art is worth preserving!

Why Readers, Scientifically, Are The Best People To Fall In Love With

If you're craving female authors, check out these unconventional women or these contemporary novellas
~     ~     ~

I don't know exactly what August is going to look like. As I said at the start of the post, our life is in a whirlwind right now. I do have posts already written for about half of the month, so I can guarantee those will be coming soon. I will try to keep things as normal as possible, but no promises! Can't wait to write the August Chapter post from North Carolina!

What are you reading this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment