Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Everlasting Lane - Andrew Lovett

Everlasting Lane
A while back I was contacted to see if I was interested in reviewing an upcoming book. I know some bloggers are flooded with these requests, but I am not one of them, so I love getting them! If you have a book you think I might like, let me know! Worst thing that can happen is I say no, right?

Unless you get my name wrong...as one person did. Then I may not even respond. If you want me to read your book, you can at least take the time to get my name correct. I think that's fair. 

The book I was approached about a bit ago is Andrew Lovett's Everlasting Lane. You'll notice it's the book we're talking about today. I was intrigued, so I happily accepted the offer. 

Sidebar: I know I don't say this every time, but I do feel as though I should clarify again that, even though I receive free copies of some of the books I agree to review, that never ever ever sways my opinion of them. I give you my honest thoughts every time. You can always be sure that I am offering my real opinion.

And my opinion of Everlasting Lane? I liked it. Didn't love it, but definitely liked it. 

The book tells the story of Peter, a young boy whose father dies and is subsequently taken by his mother to live in the English countryside. Once there, he struggles with acceptance at a new school and with the secrets his mother has. It's definitely a coming-of-age, but with a darker, sadder side than most similar stories.

Lovett writes from Peter's perspective, so the book has a childlike innocence and naiveté about it which reminded me of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Actually, this book reminded me of that one in a lot of ways. Both had a darker side to the whimsical ways of childhood and both left me wondering what had actually happened. Telling a story from a child's perspective can leave the narrative a bit twisted and skewed. Children see things differently than we do and Lovett displayed that so well.

In the end, the secrets are revealed and that's the part where, admittedly, I got a bit confused. Things are not as they have seemed throughout the story. I don't want to give anything away, but I thought it was a great move on Lovett's part. He remained true to Peter's character, his perception of events and his confusion defining reality. Still, I could have used a little help from the author sussing out exactly what went down. Maybe, though, that's the point. I mean, I certainly have events in my own childhood that I remember differently because I experienced them as a child. 

I enjoyed Lovett's writing as well. He set the scene well and beautifully. Here's an example:
"Everlasting Lane opened up before us like a storybook, pages coloured with green and gold. And like any story that your heart knows, that has thrilled you or lulled you drowsy-eyed and heavy with sleep, it's hard to believe there was ever a time when it was new and strange, when you had to pay attention or risk losing your way among the twists and turns" (Lovett, 90).
I am grateful for the opportunity I had to read this book. Once again, I love how the blog leads me to books I may never have encountered otherwise. If you are looking for a coming-of-age story with some shadowy twists and turns, I recommend Everlasting Lane. The book was officially released yesterday, so head out and get yourself a copy!

Pages: 368
Date Completed: January 9, 2015

2 comments:

  1. Great review -- although I have to say, I laughed at the bungled book pitch -- that happens to me very often, and I feel the same way as you!

    Not sure this one is for me, but I appreciate your honest thoughts. The cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cover is gorgeous! That's one thing I do love about getting approached for different books. You end up reading a variety of things, even if you would never pick them out for yourself or read them again. I like getting exposed to stuff I would otherwise never read. Even if I don't end up loving it.

      Delete