Friday, April 17, 2015

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

The Help
Title: The Help
Author: Kathryn Stockett
Publication Date: 2/10/09
Pages: 451
Genre: Historical / Fiction
How I Found It: Read again for my Gender in Contemporary Literature course
Previous Readings: 2011
Date Completed This Time: 3/15/15

Summary: Told from the perspectives of three different women in Jackson, Mississippi, Stockett's novel explores racial tensions and civil rights during the 1950s. White woman Skeeter Phelan, trying to find her niche as a writer, begins to secretly gather the stories of black maids within the community. 

What I Thought: I love this book. The movie is phenomenal as well; Movie Monday coming shortly, I promise. It tackles tough issues so well. Stockett will have you laughing out loud but also thinking deeply about institutionalized racism and gender discrimination. The characters are complex with clear voices. There is a reason this book hit The New York Times best seller list and went on to become a star-studded film. It's that good. If you haven't read it already, what could you possibly be waiting for? 

Quote I Loved: "You is kind. You is smart. You is important." - I plan to tell my own children a variation of this every day: 'You are kind. You are smart. You are loved.'

Rating: ★★★★★
Will I Re-Read: At some point, I'm sure
If You Liked This Try: Wench / People of the Book / 11/22/63

A Reduced Review: This best-seller gets to the heart of discrimination in mid-century southern America with humor, grace, and poignancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment