Friday, July 3, 2015

The Wings of the Dove - Henry James

The Wings of the Dove
Title: The Wings of the Dove
Author: Henry James
Publication Date: 1901
Pages: 741
Genre: Classic / Historical / Fiction
How I Found It: 100 Best Novels challenge
Date Completed: 5/13/15

Summary: Kate and Merton want to marry, but have no money. Milly has lots of money, is in love with Merton, and suffers from some mysterious, likely-to-prove-fatal illness. The scheming and twisted relationships which ensue are nearly worthy of Greek theatre or, at the very least, the opera stage. 

What I Thought: I had it somewhere in my mind that I was going to be a big Henry James fan. I am pretty sure Rory Gilmore referenced him at one point and gave me some impressions I would enjoy James's work.

I did not dislike the book, but it certainly did not win me over in the big way I was hoping for, which is unfortunate, considering James has two more works on the Modern Library list. It was just bland to me. There's really no other way to describe it. Here is hoping one of the others will captivate me as Wharton's The Age of Innocence and Stegner's Angle of Repose did.

In the mean time, I will keep sorting through and questioning why a novel with such an engaging plot could come across so dry to me. 

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Unlikely
If You Liked This Try: The Age of Innocence / Sister Carrie / Parade's End

A Reduced Review: Despite an intriguing plot, I struggled to engage with this turn-of-the-century British love triangle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment