Monday, February 1, 2016

January 2016 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


January News 


First month of the year. A time of fresh starts and shaky promises. New routines are experimented with. Challenges seem enticing and exciting. The world seems alive with possibility and promise. The weather pushes us to stay buried in our individual pursuits of betterment. This first month of the year always feels os full of hope and heavy with expectation to me. I dream of better habits and a year of personal growth.

For 2016, I am claiming the word "intentional" as a part of my everyday life. I want to be intentional in my relationships, in my career, in my free time, in my reading...in everything. For the most part, I feel as though I'm off to a good start. I've set daily and monthly goals for myself to help make the big goals more manageable and to keep myself on track. After all, big change doesn't happen without everyday intentionality and hard work.

In my personal life, that's looked like having an accountability partner to hold me to some of my goals. I've practiced French every day this month and see definite improvement there. I would love to be relatively fluent by the end of the year. Thank goodness for Duolingo and Lingvist! I've also lost 7 pounds this month. Not super groundbreaking or anything, but my jeans fit a little looser and Kevin says he can see it in my face. For those interested, it's been pure diet and exercise, no fancy tricks or plans. Just hard work - which is the worst. But, at least I'm seeing results.

In the reading and blogging world, I have been already been more intentional about keeping my Goodreads up to date. I also have read a ton. I always read a lot in January, but this year has been exceptional. Winter storm Jonas basically shut down our state for four days, so that did not hurt things. I've done a lot of audiobooks, too. They make doing household chores or my commute a whole lot more enjoyable and make me feel like I'm making the most of my time.

How has your first month of the year been? How are you doing on the goals you set for yourself at the start?


Books Reviewed

  1. Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton
  2. Landline - Rainbow Rowell
  3. Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy - Karen Abbot
  4. Tobacco Road - Erskine Caldwell
  5. Light in August - William Faulkner
  6. The Reason I Jump - Naoki Higashima
  7. Luckiest Girl Alive - Jessica Knoll
  8. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
  9. The Restaurant Critic's Wife - Elizabeth LaBan
  10. For the Love - Jen Hatmaker
  11. Ragtime - E. L. Doctorow

Books Read

  1. Luckiest Girl Alive - Jessica Knoll
  2. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
  3. The Restaurant Critic's Wife - Elizabeth LaBan
  4. For the Love - Jen Hatmaker
  5. Ragtime - E. L. Doctorow
  6. Mandie and the Secret Tunnel - Lois Gladys Leppard
  7. The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
  8. Being Mortal - Atul Gawande
  9. Zoo - James Patterson
  10. The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad
  11. My Life on the Road - Gloria Steinem
  12. Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
  13. The Golden Son - Shilpi Somaya Gowda
Pages Read: 3,959

Favorite Book Read: I read a lot of good ones this month, but Being Mortal is the one I just can't stop thinking about.

2016 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 6 books every month:
  • 3 100 Best Novels - I did great this month!
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    Ragtime - E. L. Doctorow
    The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
    The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad
    51% complete with total challenge 
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    For the Love - Jen Hatmaker 
  • 1 Nonfiction 
    Being Mortal - Atul Gawande 
  • 1 from On Reserve
    Luckiest Girl Alive - Jessica Knoll
    Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan

Articles

A great interview with the man doing illustrated versions of Harry Potter.

13 Books to Read Before They Become Movies in 2016

Beware the vaguely spam-y website, but I thought this artist's depiction of literary characters was interesting.

Finally, I saw these two graphics recently. One sent to me by my dad and one a friend posted on social media. Reading changes lives!


~     ~     ~

That wraps it up for January. Here's to another month of intentionality and goal reaching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment