Wednesday, June 1, 2016

May 2016 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


May News 


Summer is here! At least in North Carolina, the hot, muggy days have officially arrived, afternoon thunder storms and all. It's wonderful. I know there are plenty of people who loathe the high temperatures and humidity, but the Napp house celebrates this time of year enthusiastically. I'd rather wear frizzy hair in a topknot for three straight months then see a single snowflake or pull out a winter coat. The blue skies and sunshine feed my soul in a way few other things do.

Of course, it helps that summer brings a freedom the remainder of the year rarely affords. I'm still teaching this summer - not even just online, which is a new thing for me - but even that allows for much more time off than during the school year. I worked incredibly hard during the break between terms to get all of my summer prep work done. Now, even though I am teaching for the next eight weeks, all I really have to do is show up and grade. I'm not even going to think about fall prep work until at least mid-July.

This year, we are traveling lots, mostly to spend time with family. I'm looking forward to lots of plane time to read. I can never read in the car because I get pretty severe motion sickness. Planes, on the other hand, are usually safe for me to pull out a book. Thankfully, most of our summer travel will be via the sky this year. I'll have a book ready for those infamous TSA lines, too...

Here's your May update...


Books Reviewed

  1. Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O'Dell
  2. My Holiday in North Korea - Wendy E. Simmons
  3. Eve - Wm. Paul Young
  4. How to Be a Heroine - Samantha Ellis
  5. Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
  6. The Fever - Megan Abbott
  7. Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
  8. 300 Days of Sun - Deborah Lawrenson
  9. The Lost World - Michael Crichton
  10. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
  11. Out of Sorts - Sarah Bessey
  12. The Magus - John Fowles
  13. The Rainbow - D. H. Lawrence

Books Read

  1. Blood and Beauty - Sarah Dunant
  2. The Moviegoer - Walker Percy
  3. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
  4. The View from the Cheap Seats - Neil Gaiman
  5. The Sympathizer - Viet Thanh Nguyen
  6. Wool - Hugh Howey
  7. Still Alice - Lisa Genova
  8. Zuleika Dobson - Max Beerbohm
  9. Mandie and the Cherokee Legend - Lois Gladys Leppard
  10. She Finds Power - Anthony Robertson
  11. Life After Art - Matt Appling
Pages Read: 3,600

Favorite Book Read: It was hard for me to choose between Life After Art and Still Alice, but the novel really moved me deeply, so I have to go with it.

2016 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 6 books every month:
  • 100 Best Novels 
    The Moviegoer - Walker Percy
    Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
    Zuleika Dobson - Max Beerbohm
    62% complete with total challenge 
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    Life After Art - Matt Appling
  • 1 Nonfiction 
    The View from the Cheap Seats - Neil Gaiman
  • 1 from On Reserve
    Blood & Beauty - Sarah Dunant
    The Sympathizer - Viet Thanh Nguyen

Articles

Any long time Goodreads user like myself will be able to relate to this list.

This is an incredibly beautiful reflection on the character of Neville Longbottom. Seriously. Amazing. Go read it, Potter fans.

Thinking about publishing a book? Read this first

I went to grad school with this wonderful woman, Saadia Faruqi, who works tirelessly as an interfaith activist. She has a new book out, which I want to read. In the mean time, though, this Mother's Day article is lovely.
~     ~     ~

Thanks for stopping by and reading through the post. I've been so pleased with the response to my personalized book recommendations! It's been a wonderful reminder to me of how great you, my readers, really are. I mean, I totally knew, but it's always nice to be reminded. You truly are the best and I'm thankful for each of you! Have a wonderful summer and make sure you check in here regularly. I've got lots of reviews planned for the summer months, including some really excellent books, so you won't want to miss out!

No comments:

Post a Comment