Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Ragamuffin Gospel - Brennan Manning

The Ragamuffin Gospel
Title: The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out
Author: Brennan Manning
Publication Date: 1990
Pages: 240
Genre: Faith / Nonfiction
How I Found It: I can't remember.
Date Completed: 10/18/16

Summary: The good news is here! Grace comes through faith alone. Manning shouts it from the rooftops in his best-selling book.

What I Thought: After reading Love Does by Bob Goff in September, Manning's book felt refreshingly deep. Now, I enjoyed Goff's book, but it lacked a depth I was looking for. Manning delivered on that front. 

Ragamuffin joyfully proclaims the message of grace. We don't have to work for our salvation. Rather, forgiveness and freedom is available to every ragamuffin. Manning, who comes from a Catholic background, has no qualms about declaring his message. I really enjoyed the book. While none of Manning's thoughts were new to me, they were a great reminder. It certainly never hurts to be told again that God loves and accepts you unconditionally. All we need to do is accept His gift of grace. 

I read the Kindle version of this book and, to my surprise, the afterward was written by one of our pastors, Fil Anderson! It was really neat to be reading this great book which has impacted so many people and discover at the end that one of my own pastors knew Manning and was mentored by him. Next time I see him at church, I definitely want to ask him about it. 

While this book was not anything ground-breaking for me, I know it is and has been for countless Christians over the years. Manning's message is an important one and is so full of hope. I definitely recommend this book. 

Quote I Loved: "The institutional church has become a wounder of the healers rather than a healer of the wounded."

Rating: ★★★★☆
Will I Re-Read: Yeah, likely.
If You Liked This, Try: The Prodigal God / Life After Art / Out of Sorts

A Reduced Review: Manning's message is an important one and is so full of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment