Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2017 Blog Goals

For the past several years, I have laid out some goals specific to the blog and my reading. Doing this has really helped keep me focused and I am so proud of the direction of things over these past couple years. The blog feels more intentional, less sporadic and random. So, in keeping with the spirit, I want to set some goals for the upcoming year. After the international dumpster fire that was 2016, I think we're all ready for a fresh start and some positive things to work toward. I know I am.

Before I do that, though, I want to take a minute and reflect on the goals I set forth for 2016 and see how those played out. 

2016 Goals

  • 100 Best Novels - I reached for the sky this year, hoping to hit the 80% mark. I came in just under the line! I'm at exactly 80% now. 20 books left to go!
  • Focus on My TBR - I've read almost exclusively from this list this year and I'm happy about it. It's always growing, so I never feel stuck with it. I did a long overdue purge at the end of the year, so it feels very current right now.
  • Monthly Reading Goals - In an effort to help achieve those first two goals, I set monthly reading goals for myself. Other than November, during which I threw the goals out the window for NaNoWriMo, I did great on these. I want to do something similar for next year. I loved having intentionality like this in my reading, even if it felt burdensome at times.
  • New Blog Design - Yay! I finally did this! I love the fresh, clean look things have around here now. Makes me happy. 
  • Write More Consistently - Overall this year, I didn't do a great job of this. I did pretty well writing posts in advance, but my writing was inconsistent. However, conquering NaNoWriMo for the first time ever really reinspired me on this front. Writing matters to me, and I feel invigorated in this area for the first time in years. 
So, last year's goals were great successes! I'm glad I once again steered away from number-based goals. Focusing on qualitative over quantitative is a lesson I could stand to extend to some other areas of my life.

2017 Goals

  • 100 Best Novels - It's gonna happen this year. This is the year I'm going to finish.
  • Monthly Reading Goals - I really liked this idea last year. I'm lowering the bar a bit this year because I don't want to feel as much self-imposed pressure, but I want to keep up what I've been doing.
    • 2 100 Best Novels books
    • 1 faith-centered or philosophical book
    • 1 nonfiction
  • Join #otspsecretsister - I have absolutely adored being a part of #TBTBSanta the past three years. I want to make that excitement last year round, so I'm looking forward to joining this book blogger secret sister community. It's a once-a-month deal. Not sure what level I'm going to do yet, but I'm sure I'll have fun whatever I choose.
  • Write More - I don't want to lose this momentum. I want to make writing a regular part of my life.
I wanted to make 2016 about intentionality - to focus more the small things well every day rather than aim for huge accomplishments. I'm happy with how I did that this year. Yeah, the last couple of months weren't great, but the year as a whole was a good one for me personally. There were no huge milestones, but I feel like I am a better, stronger, wiser person than I was a year ago. I have a long way to go, but I can see progress. I can only work toward the same in 2017.

What are your 2017 goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment