Friday, June 26, 2015

Eeny Meeny - M. J. Arlidge

Eeny Meeny
Title: Eeny Meeny
Author: M. J. Arlidge
Publication Date: 6/2/15
Pages: 432
Genre: Thriller / Fiction
How I Found It: NetGalley
Date Completed: 6/3/15

Summary: Detective Inspector Helen Grace finds herself facing a new difficult case. Someone is kidnapping pairs of people and leaving them trapped with nothing except a gun and one bullet. Release is only accessible by killing your fellow captive.

What I Thought: NetGalley pulled me in on this one. They sent one of those enticing emails advertising a specific book - you know the kind I'm talking about, book bloggers - and I couldn't resist.

I think this was finally the book that made me understand the relationship I am going to have with NetGalley. Every once in a while, I may find a gem. Most of the time, though, I need to take a step back and evaluate: am I really going to like this book?

All that to say: Eeny Meeny did not turn out to be my cup of tea.

It started so well. The premise is relatively unique - two people are kidnapped and left for dead with instructions that murder is their only chance for escape. Despite the brutality and horror of this plot, it is certainly interesting. The psychological ramifications alone draw in the reader at the beginning.

What starts well devolves into a standard detective novel - and not a great one at that. The second half felt jumbled and I had a hard time keeping track of the changing point of view. What begins as an interesting, engaging idea becomes...disjointed.

I struggled to keep characters straight and did not connect to any of them, even the protagonist. I really had hoped for more from this book. From reviews and other online comments, I am gathering that there are plenty of people rating it higher than I am so, perhaps, it simply is not my type.

Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Nope
If You Liked This Try: Down to the Wire / The Dismantling / Black Chalk

A Reduced Review: A detective thriller which starts out with such promise faltered and fell apart for me in the second half.

No comments:

Post a Comment