Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? - Mindy Kaling

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
Title: Is Eveyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)
Author: Mindy Kaling
Publication Date: 11/1/11
Pages: 222
Genre: Memoir / Nonfiction
How I Found It: Everyone was reading it without me
Date Completed: 5/4/15

Summary: Comedienne Mindy Kaling (you likely know her from her stints on The Office or The Mindy Project) offers a memoir about growing up, the road to a successful career, and her lack of success in love.

What I Thought: Any time Kevin leans over in bed and says, "What's so funny over there?" or "What are you snickering at?" I know I am connecting with a book. I have, admittedly, a strange sense of humor. Maybe not strange so much as picky. I am very selective in what makes me laugh. Kevin takes immense pride any time he has me laughing out loud. He considers such an achievement to be a great success. He considers correctly. 

Mindy Kaling had me laughing. I even read a couple short passages aloud to Kevin. Her humor is pretty much what you would expect if you have ever watched either of her shows (we are big time Office fans, though we have yet to join The Mindy Project bandwagon). 

I found her content surprisingly relatable. I am really not sure why, but I had the idea in my head going in that I would not be able to connect with her. Silly me. Kaling and I grew up in the same generation and have had, while not a lot, at least a few overlapping experiences consequentially. I found I had a lot in common with her perspective on life and love and career. Honestly, the whole book felt like something I would have found on a "10 Books You Must Read in Your Twenties" list (I'm sure it is on just such a list somewhere on the Internet). It was also really interesting to read about her time in the entertainment industry and, specifically, her time on The Office. The book is a bit dated at this point, but still a great read. 

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Unlikely
If You Liked This Try: Let's Pretend This Never Happened / Mennonite in a Little Black Dress / Bossypants (Tiny Fey)

A Reduced Review: Funny and sarcastic, Mindy Kaling turned out to be more entertaining and relevant than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment