Monday, August 15, 2016

The Old Wives' Tale - Arnold Bennett

The Old Wives' Tale
Title: The Old Wives' Tale
Author: Arnold Bennett
Publication Date: 1908
Pages: 565
Genre: Classic / Historical / Fiction
How I Found It: 100 Best Novels
Date Completed: 6/28/16

Summary: Two sisters, closer in age and close in heart, become separated and estranged as they enter adulthood. Each marries. Time and distance separate them. In the end, both alone again, they return to each other - companions in the start and the end of life.

What I Thought: While in many ways this book falls right in line with all the other British period novels of the Modern Library list, there is one important difference. Rather than centering on a traditional romance, Bennett shapes his story around the relationship between sisters. Consider it the Frozen of 1908.

Though the book did not necessarily feel like anything spectacular, I did enjoy it. I'm not quite sure how it made its way to the 100 Best list, but, hey, I've felt that way about a good number of the books on there. Still, this one was enjoyable. I liked both the individual tales of the sisters' lives in the years they were separated and the times they were together. 

I could see myself coming back to this one. Sister stories always have a special place in my heart because I love my sister dearly. It's just the two of us, so we have a special bond. As Bennett suggests in the novel, nothing can break such a bond. Years apart and very different lives may create distance, but sisterly connection can stretch across nearly anything.

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Possibly

A Reduced Review: Two sisters each have their own years of life, love, and adventure before returning to each other, sisterhood being the truest love after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment