Monday, August 22, 2016

The Apartment - Greg Baxter

The Apartment
Title: The Apartment
Author: Greg Baxter
Publication Date: 12/3/13
Pages: 193
How I Found It: I can't remember
Date Completed: 7/11/16

Summary: On one frigid winter day, an unnamed American man searches for an apartment in which to start his new life in an unnamed European city. He is accompanied by Saskia, a new friend. Though the main plot consists only of this one day and the search for the right apartment, it is punctuated by glimpses into the American's past, including his time as a soldier and contractor in Iraq.

What I Thought: This book is one of those charming gems that, while short, will offer back as much as the reader is willing to put in. The surface story is charming and sweet, but the layers pile up beneath the apparent.

The novel is very character focused, which is always nice. Really, not much happens over the course of the story. It all takes place on one day and, really, nothing particularly spectacular happens on that day. It's a story about relationships and friendships and what makes us who we are.

I think this is a good book to pick up if you are looking for something different, something a bit outside the normal box. Baxter has a lovely way with words. While I know it is cliche, the words and phrasing that keep echoing for me about this book are "charming" and "short and sweet." I just don't know if I can describe it better than that.

Quote I Loved: "In many ways, she has admitted, she is not really reading books, but working on thoughts so that she might read a sentence in one book, a novel or a book of poems, and immediately need to leap to a history book or an economics textbook or an art book."

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Maybe
If You Liked This, Try: Still Alice / The Alchemist / The Jesus Cow

A Reduced Review: A charming look into one day of a man's life as he looks both to a fresh future and the past that has led to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment