Monday, December 29, 2014

Best Books of 2014

Over the next week, I have a variety of end-of-the-year wrap up posts planned. Call me crazy, but I love this time of year. Charts and statistics of my accomplishments make me weirdly happy. I'll have loads of that stuff for you on Friday, but, for today, I'm awarding some fun superlatives to books I read this year.

If you are a long-time reader, you know I have done a post like this the past two years. You can find the 2012 and 2013 versions in the archives (or by following the links). I really recommend going back and reading those as well. It's so fun to look back and remember the books that have impacted me the most since I started writing this blog three years ago.
~          ~          ~
Most Thought Provoking: I Am Malala ~ Just finished this one last week - review to come in the new year. I was blown away by Malala Yousafzai's powerful story and can't wait to share it with you!

Most Unique: Submergence ~ In my review, I called it a 'highly non-linear novel.' I stand by that interpretation. I also said, "It's unique...but so rewarding." I stand by that as well.

Longest: From Here to Eternity ~ Weirdly the same page count as last year's longest book (Ulysses): 816 pages. Longest book since starting the blog is still A Storm of Swords at 1,128 pages. 
EDIT: We finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night on the way home from Ohio. It clocked in at 870 pages. New longest book for the year! So happy to replace From Here to Eternity, which I hated and, thus, hated including on this list.

Most Thrilling: Night Film ~ It scared the pants off me. So much so, I had to lay off for a few nights while Kevin was gone on a trip. 

Most Educational: Five Days at Memorial ~ As much as I wanted to pick Elizabeth the Queen for this one, I already know tons about her. The book that really taught me a lot this year was the exposé about a New Orleans hospital staff during the Katrina crisis. It's definitely a biased look at the situation, but that doesn't keep it from being truly eye-opening. 

Most Visited: Dust ~ Ok, technically this post is from last year, but it continues to be my most popular post. It's received over 1600 individual page views since I wrote it last summer. It makes me happy that one of my favorite, most recommend series is so popular here on the blog!

Biggest Throwback: Dealing with Dragons ~ Perhaps the ultimate throwback for me. I adored this book as a child and it still makes me happy today. Plus, I threw in a nice story for your entertainment all about me and the grudge I hold against my fourth grade teacher. 

Most Recommended: Geraldine Brooks books ~ This author was new to me this year and she blew me away. I've been recommended her books to just about everyone. 

Favorite Classic: Angle of Repose ~ I can't say I expected a novel about the Western frontier to be one of my favorites of the year or of the 100 Best Novels list, but here it is. I loved this story of East Coast girl meets Western adventure. 

Shortest: Heart of Darkness ~ And thank goodness! I hated this 72-page classic in high school and can't say my opinion improved much when I reread it this year.

~          ~          ~
Each month this year, I found it consistently difficult to select my favorite book I read that month. I did, however, and here's the list of my favorites from each month this year. They each made the top spot for their own reasons. I encourage you to go back and read the posts and see why they made such an impact on me!


This year has been full of many wonderful books, and I am thankful to have read nearly all of them. I cannot wait to see what 2015 holds and what wonderful books have yet to cross my path that will in this next year. Stay tuned to hear all about them! 

What were your favorite books in 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment