Wednesday, December 31, 2014

December 2014 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


December News

As wonderful as the holiday season is, I'm always a little reveled to see it in the rearview mirror. I so much about it, but it's nice to be writing this back in my own house on my own schedule, not worried about wrapping gifts or packing. We just got back from spending 10 days in the Midwest. We loved spending that much time with our families, but we were really ready to be home, too. Sleeping in our own bed and having a quiet house is practically euphoric. Tonight, to celebrate the New Year, we're keeping it simple. Staying home together, eating a gargantuan amount of fresh seafood (our favorite treat!), and talking about our dreams for 2015. It should be a great night! I'm really looking forward to it!

I have done so much reading in the last two months of 2014. A big part of that was because of my Adolescent Literature class, for which I had to read 7 books. Still, I made it through plenty of my own picks as well. Being home has allowed me to pick up Movie Monday again, too, and I reviewed both Mockingjay (loved!) and Bloom (hated!) this month. 


Books Reviewed

  1. Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson
  2. The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennett
  3. Z - Therese Anne Fowler
  4. Feed - M. T. Anderson
  5. Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher
  6. The Astronaut Wives Club - Lily Koppel 
  7. My Story - Elizabeth Smart
  8. Rainbow Valley - L. M. Montgomery 
  9. The Bridge of San Luis Rey - Thornton Wilder

Books Read

  1. Uglies - Scott Westerfeld - 12/1
  2. Yummy - G. Neri - 12/2
  3. Tender at the Bone - Ruth Reichl - 12/6
  4. An Invitation to the White House - Hillary Rodham Clinton - 12/10
  5. The Presidents Club - Nancy Gibbs & Michael Duffy - 12/11
  6. The Man Who Ate Everything - Jeffrey Steingarten - 12/11
  7. The Day of the Locust - Nathanael West - 12/13
  8. The Passage - Justin Cronin - 12/20
  9. I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai - 12/25
  10. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J. K. Rowling - 12/27
Pages Read: 4,476

Favorite Book Read: Definitely I Am Malala. I was so impressed with her story. I can't wait to share it with you soon!

100 Best Novels Progress

  • 1 completed this month (The Day of the Locust)
  • 35% complete


Articles


The New York Times lists of 100 Notable Books of 2014 and The 10 Best Books of 2014

The Buzzfeed lists of best fiction and best nonfiction of 2014

Remember how much I loved Hugh Howey's Wool? Looks like his fictional future could become reality...

Books for Frozen fans

51 of the Most Beautiful Sentences in Literature

UPDATE: The Wall Street Journal Best Books of 2014 list
~     ~     ~

I am so excited for the new year! I have posts scheduled all the way through January all ready. I have a new stack of book tour books waiting to be read and reviewed for spring. I have new ideas and more time to read than I have in years. Make sure you stop by on Monday to read about what you can expect from Read.Write.Repeat. in 2015.

Meanwhile, before we close out 2014 for good, I want to thank you for a wonderful year. Though I might still write about the books I read even if no one read it, your presence and interest makes it so much sweeter and more fun. Have a wonderful, safe, New Year's Eve celebration tonight. See you in 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment