Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Final Girls - Riley Sager

Final Girls
Title: Final Girls
Author: Riley Sager
Publication Date: 7/11/2017
Pages: 342
Genre: Thriller / Fiction
How I Found It: I can't remember, but I think another blogger talked about it last year.
Date Completed: 6/9/18

Summary: Years after being the sole survivor of a brutal mass murder, Quincy Carpenter is still trying to cope with the emotional and social pressures that come with that position. Being in the "Final Girls" club is not a membership she ever wanted. But, when one of her fellow "Final Girls" dies suddenly, she's forced to confront her past head on. 

What I Thought: If you've been following the blog in the last year, you know I've been on a hunt for a really good thriller. I read a bunch of them while we were on vacation at the start of June, including this one. 

Kevin passed on this one because he said it looked less like a thriller and more like a horror novel from the marketing blurb. I had that fear as well; after reading the book, I would say Sager rides the line between the two. There are flashbacks to Quincy's nightmarish experience in college that slowly fill in the pieces of her memory and the plot. Even in those flashbacks, though, there isn't too much graphic gore until closer to the end. Overall, there are more violent descriptions than most psychological thrillers, put I wouldn't push this all the way into the horror genre because most of the book doesn't center on those scenes. 

I thought this was a pretty decent thriller. I didn't see the big twist coming, an experience I already appreciate. My biggest complaint was that I didn't really like the character of Quincy that much. She's not terrible, but I struggled with some of her actions and motivations thereof. 
This book is part of my 2018 TBR Challenge!

Overall, it's a quick read and not a bad one. If you don't like descriptions of violence or if you steer clear of the horror genre entirely, then this probably isn't for you. If you want a purely psychological thriller, this probably isn't for you. If you're happy riding the line, then I think this could be a great option for a summer, poolside read. 

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Nope.

A Reduced Review: A fast-moving, interesting thriller with a relatively unique premise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment