Thursday, June 14, 2018

Good as Gone - Amy Gentry

Good as Gone
Title: Good as Gone
Author: Amy Gentry
Publication Date: 7/26/2016
Pages: 273
Genre: Thriller / Fiction
How I Found It: I can't remember.
Date Completed: 5/29/18

Summary: Julie was kidnapped from her bedroom at thirteen. The only witness was her younger sister. When Julie shows up on the family doorstep nearly a decade later, the Whitakers are suddenly thrust back into a world of intensely mixed emotions. 

What I Thought: For whatever reason, I've been on the hunt for another really good thriller for awhile. I got on the kick around Halloween last year and has continued. Perhaps because I put a lot of thrillers on my TBR around that time and now I'm reading through them in my efforts to slim down that list this year. 

All that to say, here's another one.

And I'm getting worn out on this genre. It just...so rarely succeeds in thrilling me. 

This book has been all over the place lately. It sold well and lots of people liked it. Kevin and I both read it while on our Italy trip. I knew I wanted easy reads on that trip. This certainly fit that bill, but I couldn't help feeling a little let down by it. Kevin felt the same.

It's a good concept. Kidnapped child turns up years later and, as days go on, her mother becomes plagued with doubts as to her real identity. It reminded both of us a bit of that documentary, The Impostor (which is FABULOUS!). I liked that Gentry told "Julie's" story backward, leading us slowly to the truth of her identity. 

Ultimately, though, the twists just weren't that good. The reveal of the kidnapper was decent; I'll give Gentry that. But the truth around Julie was obvious to me long before the reveal. Kevin's complaint was that, even when presenting a plot twist, Gentry didn't make it much of a presentation. He said she just threw shocking moments in there like any other line. I can see that complaint, although I often don't mind that literary style. 

This book is part of my 2018 TBR Challenge!
It's not a bad book. It was a bit "rape-y," something that always makes us (Kevin especially) uncomfortable. So, if abusive situations are a trigger for you, I wouldn't pick this one. If you're looking for a quick, easy summer vacation read, this is not a bad choice. 

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: No
If You Liked This, Try: Emma in the Night / The Widow / Daughter

A Reduced Review: A perfectly mediocre thriller, but I don't really understand all the hype it's gotten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment