Thursday, December 7, 2017

Fierce Kingdom - Gin Phillips

Fierce Kingdom
Title: Fierce Kingdom
Author: Gin Phillips
Publication Date: 7/25/2017
Pages: 288
Genre: Thriller / Fiction
How I Found It: I can't remember.
Date Completed: 11/25/17

Summary: A mother and her young son find themselves trapped in the zoo, trying to avoid becoming victims of a mass shooting.

What I Thought: I read this book in a day. It's not long and it goes quickly. It's hard to put down at points. You just want to know the characters' fates. 

To me, this is a perfect book to pick up if you want a quick thrill and aren't as worried about character development or a perfect plot. It's not perfectly crafted, but it's does it's job. 

I was a little disappointed by the lack of animals in this book. I know that sounds weird, but it takes place in a zoo. It seemed like there should have been more presence of the animals and their keepers. Most of the book felt like our characters were running around a basically abandoned zoo and that did not ring true to me. This really could have been the story of a mass shooting just about anywhere (ugh...I hate that these events are so frequent they seem commonplace) and I wanted more of the zoo-specific element.

I did appreciate the added element of our protagonist having a small child to care for in the midst of the trauma. It added a really intense, complex layer. 

Again, this book is far from perfect, but it's a quick, thrilling read. If that's what you're looking for, this is a great option for you.

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Y/N
If You Liked This, Try: Big Little Lies / The Widow / Zoo

A Reduced Review: A quick thriller that will keep you reading despite its imperfections. 

No comments:

Post a Comment