Thursday, November 15, 2012

Anne of the Island - L.M. Montgomery


November has settled in nicely.  I find it hard to believe there are only six weeks remaining in the year.  And, after today, only five books remaining to reach my goal.  The reality of that amazes me.  For the first time, I can predict every remaining piece of the puzzle.  It is an exciting place to have reached!  I have plans for some exciting posts come the end of the year, so make sure you stay tuned to see what comes next.

In the mean time, I should not jump ahead so - one page at a time, as it were.  I have continued on with the Anne of Green Gables series.  If you remember, I read the first two books, Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea earlier this fall.  They are easy reads and take me back to my childhood.  As Anne Shirley's story continues in this third installation, we see her college years in Kingston and Anne's love life finally blooms.

In all honesty, I do not have much to say about this book.  If you read my first two posts about the Anne books, I have already recorded my sentiments on L.M. Montgomery's beautifully descriptive writing.  However, at the heart of her work, there is not much content to analyze.  Certainly, you could discuss the character development as Anne and friends reach adulthood.  Or how in Island, romance becomes a focal point, as it is for many college students.  Really, though, I do not believe that Montgomery was trying to write a literary masterpiece.  This is the continuation of Anne's story, and that's all.  We meet new friends such as Phillipa Gordan and discover new places such as Patty's Place.  Gilbert Blythe continues to grow in prominence in Anne's life.  Anne remains Anne in all her charming ways, just more grown up.

I certainly do not suggest this series as a critically acclaimed collection that will challenge you intellectually.  They are easy to read and the story is simplistic.  I do, however, recommend them as wonderful books to curl up with on a less than perfect day because they will brighten your spirit.  Anne's optimism is contagious and her story is charming.  There is something about these books that has made them enduring classics; perhaps it really is the beauty of their simplicity.

Have you read the Anne books?  What do you think makes them classics?

Pages: 243
Date Finished: November 14, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment