Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Take Tuesday: Catching Fire

Catching Fire
Some books are just so good, you have to read them again. And some books deserve a second chance. And some books I think about and change my opinion or have more to say. Take Tuesday is a chance to do just that. 

Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publication Date: 9/1/09
Pages: 405
Previous Readings: 2010 / 3/10/12 
Date Completed This Time: 2/24/15

Summary: After winning the Hunger Games, Katniss and Peeta spend the first half of the book on the Victory Tour, realizing the discontent stirring in the districts. The second half of the book sees them back in the arena, fighting other former victors and each trying to save the other. 

What I Thought Before: I whined about Collins's stream of thought writing being too casual. While I still maintain the books aren't the best written I have ever read, I now enjoy the perspective from which she writes. Other than that, I didn't have much to say back in 2012. Foolish me.

What I Think Now: I just love this series so much. For me, it's not about Collins's writing. I think we can all agree she's no F. Scott Fitzgerald. Still, the concepts and conversations stirred by her writing are what get me going. She's dealing with heavy, heavy topics. There's so much to glean from the books and they create such great discussions. That's why I love them.

And, let's face it. The story draws us all in. Watching Katniss slowly fall apart over the course of three books is painful, fascinating, and gripping. Jennifer Lawrence does a particularly excellent job portraying Katniss's struggle with PTSD in the films.

If you haven't read this series, don't let its "young adult" label stop you. Haven't you heard? YA lit is for everyone! But seriously, there are important issues being raised within these pages. Though the writing is not perfect and the vehicle for these deeper messages is exciting and action-packed, there is much to glean and contemplate. 

Rating: ★★★★★
Will I Re-Read: Most definitely. 
If You Liked This Try: The Girl Who Was on Fire Wool Relic
Other Books By Suzanne Collins: The Hunger Games / Mockingjay

A Reduced Review: Why haven't you read this series yet? 

No comments:

Post a Comment