Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Author: J. K. Rowling
Publication Date: 7/21/07
Pages: 759
Date Completed: 9/6/15

Summary: Harry, Hermione, and Ron search the English countryside for Horcruxes and are ultimately led to a final battle at Hogwarts, where self-sacrifice, teamwork, and love are the strongest magic they have at their disposal. 

What I Thought: Where to begin?

Here at the close, I always feel so many emotions. It's like saying goodbye to a good friend. I know I'll return to the series again and again, but coming to the close always feels so final in a way. 

After nearly two years of taking the journey together, Kevin and I finished the final book at the start of this month. I had worried (unnecessarily) about having time to get through this final book before the fall. Yet, once we got going, it's hard to put it aside. We listened while we drove, while we painted, while we organized our new house. Pretty much any excuse was good enough.

And, as I cried my way through the Battle of Hogwarts on a late-night drive home, Kevin sympathetically shook his head and patted my leg. Which then led into a big discussion about why he wasn't more emotional and how could he not have all the feelings? To which he replied: "She had to kill some of them. It wouldn't be a good series, otherwise." Ridiculous, this man of mine.

Kevin and I also had a long conversation about the possibilities and virtues of any potential future installments (including the upcoming play, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child). I feel confidently that no literary works will be added to the canon, at least not while Rowling is alive. I think she will continue to add to the magic through other avenues: interview quotes, Pottermore, plays, movies, etc. I do not, however, think she will ever write another Harry Potter novel. I think the series is simply too much of a complete story on its own. I think Rowling understands that and wants to let the series stand independently, at least in its own medium. I do think, though, that within a year or two after her death (which hopefully doesn't come for many, many, many years), the world will see an infusion of Harry Potter fan fiction turned "legitimate" for profit's sake. There will be plenty of authors eager and willing to take up the mantle. Hopefully both publishers and readers will be discerning in allowing new voices into the conversation. Of course, I could be wrong about all of this, but that's my prediction as of now.

There is so much here that could be said of this incredible series, but I think I would rather let it speak for itself. I think this final book is a true masterpiece and Rowling really did herself proud. I so look forward to sharing these stories with my own children someday. 

Quotes I Loved: 
  • "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” 
  • “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.”
  • “We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.”
Rating: ★★★★★
Will I Re-Read: While this quote is rumored to be misattributed, it still fits the bill here - 

A Reduced Review: A beautiful conclusion to a beautiful story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment