Monday, December 21, 2015

Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore - Robin Sloan

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Title: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
Author: Robin Sloan
Publication Date: June 2009
Pages: 288
Genre: Fantasy / Fiction
How I Found It: On a list of books for book lovers I read at some point
Date Completed: 12/2/15

Summary: A mysterious bookstore rich with history and tradition leads tech-savvy millennials on an adventure which blends the ages.

What I Thought: This was such a fun book. It brings together the old school bookstore environment, the fast-paced digital culture, and the richness of historical mystery. In some ways, it reminded me of a literary-driven National Treasure. If you are my husband, you may think that is a negative statement. If you are me, however, you know that comparing something to the early 2000s classic where Nicholas Cage steals the Declaration of Independence is a major compliment. Love that movie. Kevin hates it. It's a problem in our marriage.

I went into this novel with very few expectations. All I really knew about it came from the title. Having a blank slate really allowed me to immerse myself in the story. I often wonder if I wouldn't enjoy reading more if I went into every book without knowing any details. Of course, that's impractical in reality, but I love the idea of it. Knowing so little opens up my mind to experience the story in a much more full way. Is it like that for you, too?
The story follows a young Californian designer who gets a job at a bookstore when the tech start up he was working for goes under. The world of books and the mysterious club the bookstore patrons are a part of are so different than the Google driven world of Silicon Valley. The two world, of course, end up needing to work together to solve the mystery of the centuries old organization. I liked the idea that the answers here came from both books and technology working together. Not an idea you see often.

It was a fun read. Not perfect, but fast paced and unique. Definitely worth a look if you are searching for a fun, quick selection for your Christmas break!

Quote I Loved: "What do you seek in these shelves?"

Rating: ★★★★☆
Will I Re-Read: Possibly

A Reduced Review: A fun adventure that blends old world solemnity and reverence with modern attitudes and ideas - all centered around books!

No comments:

Post a Comment