Tuesday, March 1, 2016

February 2016 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


February News 


I relish the first couple months of the year. Everything is still building, warming up for what's to come. I always read so much and feel so optimistic about the year ahead. By the end of February, though, inevitably the rush and routine have both returned. Spring is always a busy time for us professionally and we're usually planning summer travel as well. This year is no exception. All of that is true of 2016 as it has been in years past.

So, as we plunge headfirst into the sprinsanity (Yes, I did just make up a word), I relish the moments of quiet and reflection that are already slipping away, becoming elusive and difficult to achieve.

I am slowly, slowly making my way through Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman. Her sad death this month made me only more aware that I will never get to read any more of her writing after I finish. I have never savored a book more. That mindset has been perfect in the quiet moments this month.

Despite of or, more likely, becasue of my intentional efforts about what and how I am reading, I read more this month than I have in any month since starting this blog four years ago. I'm in a great phase of being so eager for new information and new words and new content. I know it will not last forever, so I'm soaking up as much as I can. I am loving the learning.


Books Reviewed

  1. The Golden Son - Shilpi Somaya Gowda
  2. Mandie and the Secret Tunnel - Lois Gladys Leppard
  3. The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
  4. I Said Yes - Emily Maynard Johnson
  5. Being Mortal - Atul Gawande
  6. The Ramblers - Aidan Donnelly Rowley
  7. My Life on the Road - Gloria Steinem
  8. Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
  9. The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad

Books Read

  1. I Said Yes  - Emily Maynard Johnson
  2. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
  3. Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard
  4. Deliverance - James Dickey
  5. Only in Naples - Katherine Wilson
  6. The News Sorority - Sheila Weller
  7. The Ramblers - Aidan Donnelly Rowley
  8. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
  9. Portnoy's Complaint - Philip Roth
  10. The U.S.A. Trilogy - John Dos Passos
  11. Brunelleschi's Dome - Ross King
  12. The Prodigal God - Timothy Keller
  13. The Woodcutter - Kate Danley 
  14. At Home with the Queen - Brian Hoey
Pages Read: 5,282

Favorite Book Read: The News Sorority was not only very enjoyable, but also very educational.

2016 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 6 books every month:
  • 100 Best Novels 
    Deliverance - James Dickey
    Portnoy's Complaint - Philip Roth
    The U.S.A. Trilogy - John Dos Passos
    54% complete with total challenge 
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    The Prodigal God - Timothy Keller
  • 1 Nonfiction 
    The News Sorority - Sheila Weller
    Brunelleschi's Dome - Ross King
    At Home with the Queen - Brian Hoey
  • 1 from On Reserve
    The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
    The Woodcutter - Kate Danley

Articles

Not much that particuarly caught my eye this month, other than the terribly sad passing of Harper Lee. May she rest in peace. 
~     ~     ~

Hope you enjoyed the extra day of February for reading and watching the 30 Rock Leap Day William episode. If you didn't, check it out now. It's a classic and you won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. I love good reading months, when it feels like you're in a groove and get through a ton of great books. I'm totally with you on "springsanity." January is a busy month for me, but I usually get to hunker down in February and enjoy a month where most people don't expect much of you. That didn't really happen this year, so I'm trying to soak up as much quite time as possible in March before things really get nice where I live in April and May.

    ReplyDelete