Friday, April 1, 2016

March 2016 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


March News 


As predicted, we are fully immersed in the hectic schedule of spring. I'm feeling a little in over my head and certainly not having the time for reading and/or reflection I would like to have. C'est la vie. I am counting the days until summer when I can feel like I have my life back again. Until then, it's been a very light (for me) reading month. I did not meet my goals, which makes me feel discouraged, and I got halfway through several books before running out of time and having to return them to the library. There is nothing worse for a reader.

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter weekend. We helped my sister and her husband move into their beautiful new home which is just over two hours from us. Not too far at all. It's so nice to have them close. We are both looking forward to years of visits and adventures together. Otherwise, the weekend was fairly uneventful. Kevin worked in the yard and I cooked up a storm. We are both so tired from all we've been doing so we probably should not have done quite so much. Oh well, this weekend we'll relax.

Speaking of the yard and the house, we're doing so many exciting things. That's part of why we've been so busy. We're doing tons of stuff to turn out backyard into a small oasis for summer. We bought beautiful raised garden beds and have some spinach planted already. Kevin's been tearing up crabgrass and planting new, good stuff. We planted some climbing roses by the deck. I'm making some shade things for our pergola. So much happening and we're so excited for long, warm summer nights spent enjoying that space. Since it's warm here again, I've already spent quite a few afternoons out in the sunshine either with a book if I can spare the time or with papers to grade and lesson plans to write.

Speaking of reading, here's what I accomplished in March....


Books Reviewed

  1. Zoo - James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge
  2. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
  3. Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard
  4. Deliverance - James Dickey
  5. The News Sorority - Sheila Weller
  6. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
  7. Portnoy's Complaint - Philip Roth
  8. The U.S.A. Trilogy - John Dos Passos
  9. Brunelleschi's Dome - Ross King
  10. All Stories are Love Stories - Elizabeth Percer

Books Read

  1. Native Son - Richard Wright
  2. Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee
  3. Rilla of Ingleside - L. M. Montgomery
  4. China Rich Girlfriend - Kevin Kwan
  5. A Nice Little Place on the North Side - George F. Will
  6. Island of the Blue Dolphins - Scott O'Dell
  7. Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
  8. All Stories are Love Stories - Elizabeth Percer
  9. Eve - Wm. Paul Young
Pages Read: 3,157

Favorite Book Read: No question this month. Go Set A Watchman. Hands down.

2016 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 6 books every month:
  • 100 Best Novels 
    Native Son - Richard Wright
    Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison
    I came so close on the third one, but didn't quite make it. I'll try to make up for it in April.
    56% complete with total challenge 
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    Eve - Wm. Paul Young
  • 1 Nonfiction 
    A Nice Little Place on the North Side - George F. Will
  • 1 from On Reserve
    Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee

Articles

BookBub has a list of what to read if you miss Downton Abbey. Don't we all?

Apparently bibliotherapists are a thing now. Interesting.

BuzzFeed listed the 27 Most Exicting Books Coming in 2016.

Some books Anthony Bourdain recommends
~     ~     ~

As we enter April, I have my eyes on the prize of summertime. I am counting down every day to the end of the semester. I can't wait for all the fun stuff we have planned and all the books I will inevitably get to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment