Monday, August 28, 2017

Movie Monday: The Light Between Oceans

The Light Between Oceans
When opportunity arises, I feature Movie Monday. I recognize few people have the time or desire to read the amount I do. Luckily, Hollywood loves adapting a classic and I love a good story in any form.

Film Title: The Light Between Oceans

Release Year: 2016

Summary: "A lighthouse keeper and his wife living off the coast of Western Australia raise a baby they rescue from a drifting rowing boat."

What I Thought: I read this book last fall when I saw the movie would be coming out. Kevin's aunt had recommended it to me and I'd put off reading it for a while. However, when I saw the cast of the movie, I knew I would want to see it. And, being me, I had to read the book first. 

I don't know why it took me so long to watch the movie. I've known since before reading the book I would want to see it. I've almost watched it many times, but have never been in quite the right head space to take it on. One night when Kevin was in class, though, it finally seemed like the right moment.

The movie stayed very true to the book, which I love. The plot and character development of the book are so rich, so there was no reason to stray. Unsurprisingly, the cast was phenomenal. Alicia Vikander and Michael Fassbender and Rachel Weisz all gave very moving performances. 

I managed to hold myself together emotionally all the way until the last scene. Something about the conclusion of this story really speaks to me and I finally needed the tissues I'd had ready to go since the opening credits. 

This story is such a great depiction of a moral dilemma. The book does flesh out the inner emotions a bit more, as many of those are unspoken, but the actors really did a good job translating what they could without dialogue. Plus, the cinematography is just gorgeous. What an incredibly beautiful landscape to shoot in!

I definitely recommend this one, but be like me and wait for a night when you are prepared to take on the emotional journey. It's a rewarding one, if difficult. 

Rating: ★★★★☆
Will I Re-Watch: Possibly

A Reduced Review: Beautiful and heart-breaking, this film stays true to the book in the best ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment