Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Timebound - Rysa Walker

Timebound
Title: Timebound
Author: Rysa Walker
Publication Date: 9/15/2012
Pages: 366
How I Found It: My 2017 TBTB Santa gave it to me. Thanks, @ExLibris_Kate!
Date Completed: 1/16/18

Summary: Kate's world is turned upside down when her grandmother suddenly reappears in her life and pulls Kate into a quest to save the world through time travel.

What I Thought: When I got this book in my TBTB Santa box at Christmas, I was immediately excited. I didn't know anything about it, but a cursory glance at the back cover drew me in quickly, as did the excited endorsements from some of my Twitter followers. I am often bad at reading the physical books I own (as is every book blogger I know), but I prioritized this one. 

I picked it up on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day weekend. I had gotten a lot done and figured I could spend at least part of the long weekend rewarding myself with some reading for pure enjoyment. I finished the book within 30 hours. I simply could not put it down. It's been quite a while since I had that thrill of literary insatiability, but Timebound definitely delivered on that front. 

As with any adventure book, I don't want to give to much away. Part of the thrill of this one was having no clue what to expect. I get picky with YA lit, but this was definitely one of the best YA books I have read in a long time and, certainly, one of the best YA science fiction books I have ever read. 

Walker's approach to time travel and the consequences of changing history were both familiar and fresh. I really liked how she integrated the idea of religion and its history into the plot. That was something I don't think I've ever seen an author do before and the concept was really interesting. I also feel Walker did a great job of writing a stand-alone novel while still leaving the door open for sequels (which there are!). You could absolutely read this book and feel satisfied at the end. Chance are, however, you will want to keep reading like I do!

My only complaint - and that is a strong word - is that the threads of the time travel got a little complicated for me at the end. As in any story where characters are attempting to change or restore history, things get confusing. Walker really did a decent job explaining everything, but there were moments when I had to go back and reread just to be sure I was really understanding. I would love to see a chart of how exactly it all worked out, because it definitely got complex. 

I'm so thankful that my Secret Santa shared this book with me. It was such a fun read and I needed a book like this to captivate me as we start the new year of reading. I definitely recommend it. Don't let the science fiction genre scare you off if that's not normally your thing. There is plenty here to enjoy for any type of reader. 

This book is part of my 2018 TBR Challenge!
Rating: ★★★★☆
Will I Re-Read: Maybe, but I'll definitely read the rest of the series
If You Liked This, Try: Red Rising / Wool / Seeker

A Reduced Review: I wasn't able to put this time-travel adventure down until I finished it - and I bet the same will be true for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment