Thursday, March 29, 2018

The Thousandth Floor - Katharine McGee

The Thousandth Floor
Title: The Thousandth Floor
Author: Katharine McGee
Publication Date: 8/30/2016
Pages: 448
How I Found It: I can't remember.
Date Completed: 3/17/18

Summary: The New York of the future is centered around a massive tower 1000 stories tall. The wealthier you are, the higher you work and reside. McGee centers her story around teenagers throughout the building. 

What I Thought: I really wanted to like this book. Early on, however, I realize it was not what I thought it was. I thought McGee had written a futuristic exploration of class and the social ramifications thereof. While that does seem to be the framing from which she started, this is really a teenage drama and romance. Not what I was anticipating when I picked it up.

The story is interesting enough that I did read the whole thing - and it's not short. However, I found nearly every character insufferable. Worst of all, the main romance line is between an uber-wealthy girl and her adopted brother. Their attraction is, of course, taboo. Yet, McGee persists with it, trying valiantly to make readers want their forbidden love to work. Look, I understand they are not actually related, but I simply could not push through. It was a bridge too far for me to root for siblings of any kind to have a romantic relationship. 

This book is part of my 2018 TBR Challenge!
The rest of the book didn't make me queasy in the same way, but I didn't much enjoy it either. It's fine and I know a lot of readers who would probably really enjoy this book. I, however, found the characters vapid and the plot thin. There were several points where some common sense and some maturity would have solved the characters' problems quickly and easily. This book needed more of that.

I think McGee has potential. I wish she had written this as a stand alone novel rather than the start of a series. I found the end dissatisfying and I'm not interesting in reentering this world with these characters so I won't read the rest of the series. If McGee ever writes another series or book, though, I would be interested in checking it out. I think her writing powers would be better spent on smarter characters. She built an amazing world with so much potential. I just wanted better people to populate it. 

I read this book in participation with
Roof Beam Reader's 2018 TBR Pile Challenge.

Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Nope
If You Liked This, Try: Timebound / Pawn / The Red Queen

A Reduced Review: This novel didn't deliver the depth I was hoping for. McGee crafted an amazing futuristic world but populated it with insufferable characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment