Thursday, April 5, 2018

Rich People Problems - Kevin Kwan

Rich People Problems
Title: Rich People Problems
Author: Kevin Kwan
Publication Date: 5/23/2017
Pages: 398
Genre: Chick Lit / Fiction
How I Found It: I've read the rest of the series.
Date Completed: 3/28/18

Summary: When Nick Young's grandmother, the formidable Su Yi, is on her deathbead, the family rushes in from all corners of the globe. Drama abounds as they begin jockeying for a better place in her will before she passes. 

What I Thought: I found these books (this is the final in a trilogy) to be cotton candy fun. They are utter fluff and a sugary delight. Reading them is like watching a soap opera or a tv show like Revenge - there is little substance but you can't turn away. This iteration in the series was no exception.

I did actually like that there was less romance in this novel. Nick and Rachel are settled and comfortable. While the first two books centered around whether or not they would ever get married, this one found them stable and happy. I liked that. Any relationship drama had shifted to Astrid and Charlie, who had a nice story line here that was pleasant but didn't monopolize the main plot of the book. 

This book is part of my 2018 TBR Challenge!
As with the first two books, the standard of living to which these characters are accustomed is absurd and so fun to read about. I simply cannot imagine living like any of these people do. It's unfathomable. And, yet, they are all battling to get more after Su Yi's death. More money truly does create more problems rather than more happiness.

After doing some heavier reading lately, this was such a welcome break. I tore through it and was crushed when I had to put it down to start teaching class right in the middle of the will reading near the end. I couldn't wait to wrap up my lecture and find out who got the coveted Tyersall Park property! 

If you don't like stories where imagination and propriety are both stretched to their extreme in ludacrious ways, this series probably isn't for you. If, however, you are looking for a fun beach read this summer, I would definitely recommend these books, although I found the second one the hardest to get through. Kwan seemed to be floundering a bit with that one and it made me hesitant to come back for this last installment. This one, however, captured some of the original magic.  Experience it for yourself this summer since the movie adaptation of Crazy Rich Asians is on its way!

Rating: ★★★☆☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Unlikely
If You Liked This, Try: The Royal We The Selection series / Austenland
Other Books By Kevin Kwan: Crazy Rich Asians / China Rich Girlfriend

A Reduced Review: This series doesn't have a lot of substance, but the sugary entertainment value is worth a bit of literary indulgence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment