Monday, January 9, 2012

A Clash of Kings - George R.R.Martin

I realize that this is the second book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, but since I read the first one last year, I'm not going to include a review of it.  Suffice it to say that it was good enough that I started immediately on the second one.

A Clash of Kings was a great sophomore addition to the series.  While it didn't capture me in quite the same way that the first book, A Game of Thrones, did, it was still an enthralling read.  Kings focused on the continuing story of a land torn apart after the death/murder of the king.  Suddenly, there are five people with claims to the throne.  Martin's approach to story telling is unique and enjoyable.  Each chapter gives the story from the perspective of a specific character.  While jumping around in location and story can be a touch confusing at times, I really like his approach.  There are definitely characters whose story lines I enjoy more than others and I'm always eager to get back to them.  This format can also make for some frustrating cliff-hanger chapter endings.

I've already started on the third book, A Storm of Swords, and am really enjoying that one.  Thanks to my cousins who got me started on these books in the first place.  They both said that the third book was one of their favorites, so I'm excited to keep making my way through it.  I'm trying to pace myself since Martin is notorious for long intervals between books.  

Pages: 969
Genre: Fantasy

No comments:

Post a Comment