Monday, September 1, 2014

August 2014 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  


August News

It seems insane that this time one month ago, I was announcing our move. Now, I'm writing this post from my half-decorated office in our new home. We have been here nearly a week and things are slowly coming together. One thing I can say confidently already is that I love working from home. I am so much more productive and find it so much easier to focus. Proof that not all personalities belong in a traditional office setting.

I got very little reading done in August, thanks to the craziness of the move, saying goodbye to people, etc. Thank goodness I read so much in June and July to carry the blog through August. I'm excited to amp things back up in September.

In the mean time, here is a recap of what I actually did get around to this month...



Books Reviewed

  1. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
  2. People of the Book - Geraldine Brooks
  3. Five Days at Memorial - Sheri Fink
  4. Princesses Behaving Badly - Linda Rodriguez McRobbie
  5. Season of the Dragonflies - Sarah Creech
  6. The Way of All Flesh - Samuel Butler
  7. On the Road - Jack Kerouac
  8. Lighthouse Island - Paulette Jiles
  9. From Here to Eternity - James Jones
  10. I Didn't Come Here to Make Friends - Courtney Robertson
  11. Good Omens - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett 

Books Read

  1. Good Omens - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett - 8/3
  2. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J. K. Rowling - 8/8
  3. Season of the Dragonflies - Sarah Creech - 8/10
  4. Lighthouse Island - Paulette Jiles - 8/15
  5. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs - 8/17
  6. The Circle - Dave Eggers - 8/24
Pages Read: 2,743

Favorite Book Read: As always, I feel it's unfair to name Harry Potter as my favorite. After that, I'm going with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. The Circle made me think a lot more, but Miss Peregrine was just fun and creative.

100 Best Novels Progress

  • None - yikes. I'm getting close on Sister Carrie, but just didn't make it through with the move. I promise to seriously rev this challenge up this winter. 


Articles

The Giver is out now, though I still haven't seen it. HuffPost Books wrote about how it's different than the book.

People.com has a collection of YA books that should be movies, but aren't yet. And HuffPost Books also has a list of film adaptations to look forward to in 2015.

A collection of Margaret Atwood quotes. Further proof I need to read more of her work. 

Gift ideas for book lovers.

Who among us hasn't been through a brutal breakup? There are a lot of recovery methods. I wish I'd known about some of these books during my last heartbreak.

What classic novel describes your life?

What happens when you are addicted to reading. In the same vein, here's what happens when you can't put a book down
~     ~     ~

As we head into the fall, I am so excited to have more time to devote to reading and the blog. Right now, I have my hands on Sister Carrie, Pilgrim's Wilderness, and Mastering the Art of Soviet Cooking. Look forward to those and, hopefully, several more in September!

What are you reading this fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment