Monday, February 2, 2015

January 2015 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  

January News

I cannot believe January is already over. It flew by. And how is it 2015? I don't understand. I know I'm sounding very cliché right now in my amazement, but it's at least genuine amazement.

We kicked off this new year with a few overview posts, including the 2014 Chapter and my list of Goals and Expectations for 2015. I've already accomplished some of those goals, which is exciting! I've been increasing my social media presence on Facebook and Twitter. I updated my review post format (It debuted last week!). Plus, in an effort to connect more with the book blogging community, I joined the 2015 TBR Pile Challenge hosted by Adam at Roof Beam Reader. I'll be adding updates for that challenge to these monthly chapter posts.

All of that, 9 book reviews, and 9 books read. Not a bad start to the year. I even threw in a few Movie Monday posts as well: The Fault in Our Stars and The Maltese Falcon.

I'm still loving working at home. I'm down to part time plus teaching now and I've officially started on my thesis. News on that coming soon. Hint: it completely centers around books! I'm wrapping up the course portion of my masters with a few literature courses, so you'll see those books trickling through soon. We've started getting involved in our church here and are finally meeting more people. We're really starting to feel more settled and that makes me happy on so many levels. Plus, I still haven't seen any snow. Nothing makes this cold-hater happier. 


Books Reviewed

  1. An Invitation to the White House - Hillary Rodham Clinton
  2. Tender at the Bone - Ruth Reichl
  3. Everlasting Lane - Andrew Lovett
  4. The Presidents Club - Nancy Gibbs & Michael Duffy
  5. The Day of the Locust - Nathanael West
  6. I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai
  7. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - J. K. Rowling
  8. Toujours Provence - Peter Mayle
  9. Shadows of a Princess - Patrick. D. Jephson

Books Read

  1. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - 1/1
  2. Toujours Provence - Peter Mayle - 1/1
  3. Life After Life - Kate Atkinson - 1/4
  4. Holes - Louis Sachar - 1/6
  5. Everlasting Lane - Andrew Lovett - 1/9
  6. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - 1/18
  7. Shadows of a Princess - Patrick. D. Jephson - 1/19
  8. The Twelve - Justin Cronin - 1/21
  9. Wave - Sonali Deraniyagala - 1/25
Pages Read: 3,618

Favorite Book Read: It's hard not to say The Hunger Games, but I do try to make these monthly favorites new books and not favorite re-reads. In that spirit, I have to say Life After Life by Kate Atkinson.

100 Best Novels Progress

  • None - yikes! Not good for the challenge....
  • 35% complete

2015 TBR Pile Challenge Progress

Completed my first one! Shadows of a Princess by Patrick D. Jephson. That puts me on track. 


Articles

23 Words for Book Lovers That Really Should Exist

Are you still looking for a reading goal for 2015? Here a 34 ideas that may interest you.

If you're like my husband and only truly enjoy a book when there's significant amounts of suspense and action, check out these 5 Mysteries and Thrillers released this month.

If Hermione Were the Main Character in Harry Potter - Forewarning, there's a good deal of language in this, but if you are an HP fan, I bet it will have you laughing out loud all the way through. I sure did. 
~     ~     ~

That's it for January! Stay warm and keep reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment