Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Take Tuesday: Wool - Hugh Howey

Wool
Some books are just so good, you have to read them again. And some books deserve a second chance. And some books I think about and change my opinion or have more to say. Take Tuesday is a chance to do just that. 

Title: Wool
Author: Hugh Howey
Publication Date: 1/25/12
Pages: 509
Genre: Dystopian / Fiction
Previous Readings: June 2013
Date Completed This Time: 5/19/16

Summary: Generations of people have lived underground in the silo. The gray, dusty world above ground is toxic and forbidden. Only criminals sentenced to clean the cameras leave the silo - and they don't return.

What I Thought Before: I've been raving about this book for three years now. Loved it then, loved it now.

What I Think Now: I was almost apprehensive to pick up this book again. I enjoyed it so much the first time around; I was afraid I had overhyped it in my mind and would be disappointed. I was so delighted to be proven wrong.

The shock and awe factor was missing this time around, although that's to be expected. I knew the twists and turns. I wasn't blown away by the big reveals that so impressed me before, though the suspense of certain scenes held up. Yet, I found them no less masterful. Howey really did a great job breaking the mold with this one. On the surface, it seems similar to many of its contemporary dystopian novels, but in execution it is so much better than so many. The writing is brilliant.

Go back and read my original post if you want to here more of my thoughts. No sense in reiterating myself more here since I'm as enamored as ever.

I'm looking forward to reading the second two installations of the series as well. Hopefully I will enjoy those as much again, too. In the mean time, though, I'm going to keep recommending this to others with more confidence than ever.

Rating: ★★★★★
Will I Re-Read: Yes
If You Liked This Try: Station Eleven / The Dead Lands /  Dies the Fire
Other Books By Hugh Howey: Shift / Dust

A Reduced Review: I was so afraid this one would not live up to my own hype the second time around; it did. So good.

1 comment:

  1. This is on my must-read list this year! I'm glad you enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

    ReplyDelete