Monday, June 20, 2016

The Moviegoer - Walker Percy

The Moviegoer
Title: The Moviegoer
Author: Walker Percy
Publication Date: 1961
Pages: 242
Genre: Classic / Historical / Fiction
How I Found It: 100 Best Novels
Date Completed: 5/13/16

Summary: Binx Bolling - what a name! - is a young New Orleans stockbroker who is floundering in life. The novel encompassing his existential search for meaning in the mundane.

What I Thought: I enjoyed this one overall. It's a nice story and just philosophical enough in nature for me. My favorite part was easily the middle section, when Binx takes a girlfriend to meet his mother's family. The children were wonderful characters (in both senses) and so fun to read about. Other parts stretched on a bit for me, but were still fine. 

Binx's search for meaning certainly serves as a connecting point for many. I think I may read this one again in a decade or so. I think I'll have more appreciation for it then, perhaps. It did not feel very relevant to where I am at in life right now. Still, I enjoyed it much more than some of its compatriots on the 100 Best list. 

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: I think I will someday.

A Reduced Review: A rambling journey for both the protagonist and the reader, but one that is not dissatisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment