Friday, December 30, 2016

December 2016 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on the 100 Best Novels goal, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  

December News 


While I cannot say I have felt especially festive this holiday season, it sure has been nice to start looking ahead to 2017. A new year always feels so hopeful, so fresh, so full of possibility. Starting next week, we begin again.

Before we do that though, here's one final monthly wrap-up. I'll be looking back on 2016 as a whole on Monday, but today is about December. I anticipate finishing another book or two today or tomorrow, so I'll update as I do.

In my book-ish world, it was a good month. I started a new series: Let's Talk About... and it's already off to an incredible start. I got a great response and record hits talking about the Gilmore Girls reboot. If you haven't read it and are a Gilmore fan, you totally should. I'm looking forward to continuing that series in the new year with a diversity of topics. It was nice to start with a fun one, because I'm sure we'll have some serious stuff to discuss in the new year.

I also participated in #TBTBSanta for the third year in a row this month. I love this event. Thanks so much to Jamie for putting it all together. I had an absolute blast putting together a package for Allison over at Aliza Shandel. I also was thrilled to get my package from Monica at Newbery and Beyond. She got my Half the Sky, which you know I think everyone in the world should read, and The Gammage Cup, which is a book I've been hunting for ever since I was a child. Also, she's doing the coolest challenge on her blog - reading through all the Newbery winners and Newbery Honor books. Both Allison and Monica have a new follower, fan, and friend in me. That's the real beauty of this Secret Santa exchange. I'm looking forward to joining the #otspsecretsister exchange in the new year to spread that same love and excitement throughout the year.

I really enjoyed getting back into reading this month, too. After the insanity of NaNoWriMo and final grading, it felt so good and cathartic to fall back into fiction for escape. I am so thankful for a way to clear my head and focus on something outside of myself even for small chunks at a time. I cleaned out my TBR this month and doing so got me really excited for the books I will read in 2017. I know there will be some amazing ones and I cannot wait to experience them.

For now, though, let's take a look back at this final month of 2016...


Books Reviewed

  1. The Girl with Seven Names - Hyeonseo Lee
  2. Dust - Hugh Howey
  3. Tropic of Cancer - Henry Miller
  4. Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
  5. But What If We're Wrong? - Chuck Klosterman
  6. The Maze of Bones - Rick Riordan
  7. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
  8. The Queen of the Tearling - Erika Johansen
  9. The Invasion of the Tearling - Erika Johansen
  10. The Fate of the Tearling - Erika Johansen
  11. The Ambassadors - Henry James

Books Read

  1. The Invasion of the Tearling - Erika Johansen
  2. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
  3. The Fate of the Tearling - Erika Johansen
  4. The Ambassadors - Henry James
  5. The Secret Chord - Geraldine Brooks
  6. One False Note - Gordon Korman
  7. The Wapshot Chronicle - John Cheever
  8. Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline
  9. It's Not Okay - Andi Dorfman
  10. The Sword Thief  - Peter Lerangis
  11. Maybe in Another Life - Taylor Jenkins Reid
Pages Read: 3,831

Favorite Book Read: The Tearling series was awesome. You can read all three of my reviews which where posted earlier this month.

2016 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 6 books every month:
  • 100 Best Novels 
    The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Carson McCullers
    The Ambassadors - Henry James
    80% complete with total challenge 
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    I failed on this front again. I need to get back to this.
  • 1 Nonfiction 
    I read a lot of nonfiction this year, so I don't feel too badly about missing this one.
  • 1 from On Reserve
    The Secret Chord - Geraldine Brooks

Elsewhere Online...

This is a great piece on the greatness of Molly Weasley.

~     ~     ~

Have a safe and happy New Year's celebration. I hope the new year will be one of peace, and hope, and joy for us all. Good riddance, 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment