Monday, October 2, 2017

September 2017 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on my reading goals, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  

September News 


September has gone by so quickly. With school starting back up and Kevin traveling for work every week, I feel as though we haven't had time to catch our breath. October likely won't be much different, although we did have to cancel our trip to Puerto Rico. That was really disappointing. Granted, it's nothing in comparison to what the people of Puerto Rico are experiencing. We're planning a shorter trip to Savannah and Charleston instead, hoping to soak up a bit of autumn in the South. We also did a weekend getaway to Boston this past weekend (in conjunction with a work trip for Kevin) and we're headed to Philly at the start of November for a wedding, so I'm taking consolation in the fact we are covering the East Coast pretty well this fall.

The second half of September has been interesting. I sprained my ankle pretty badly while running (proof that exercise is ultimately bad for you, I think). So, I spent a good week on crutches and am still using a compression wrap and a small brace. It's been a pain (literally) and has totally derailed my exercise routine. It's really been more of an inconvenience than anything else, though I did have a couple very painful days when it first happened; Kevin was out of town and trying to do simple things like shower and make breakfast without putting any weight on one foot proved difficult. I'm trying to stay positive about it all and use this as a reminder of how important it is to listen to my body when it tells me to slow down.

I did not do a ton of reading this month, at least not by my standards. I did read some long, heavy books though, so I think it balanced out in the end. I am still finding it such utter bliss to be done with the 100 Best Novels challenge. Picking up whatever I feel on a whim has been lovely. I plan to keep doing just that through the rest of the year. 

Books Reviewed

  1. Salt - Mark Kurlansky
  2. In Sunlight and in Shadow - Mark Helprin
  3. Everything, Everything - Nicola Yoon
  4. Seriously Delish - Jessica Merchant
  5. The Daily Show - Chris Smith
  6. Yes, Chef - Marcus Samuelsson
  7. Hold Me Like a Breath - Tiffany Schmidt
  8. A Year of Living Prayerfully - Jared Brock
  9. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
  10. London - Edward Rutherfurd

Books Read

  1. A Year of Living Prayerfully - Jared Brock
  2. London - Edward Rutherfurd
  3. The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander
  4. Exit West - Mohin Hamid
  5. The Widow - Fiona Barton
  6. Let Nobody Turn Us Around - Manning Marable & Leith Mullings
Pages Read: 2,997

Favorite Book Read: It was a close race between The New Jim Crow and Exit West this month, but I'm giving it to Exit West. This book captured the emotional experience of being a refugee so well. It was absolutely lovely and a little heartbreaking. 

2017 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 5 books every month:
  • 100 Best Novels - This challenge is OVER!
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    A Year of Living Prayerfully - Jared Brock
  • 1 Nonfiction 
    The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander
    Let Nobody Turn Us Around - Manning Marable & Leith Mullings

Elsewhere Online...

How I Became A Heretic (or How the Evangelical, Conservative Church Lost Me) - Wow did I resonate with this blog post. So very much of what she writes feels as though it could have come straight from my own heart. Though I haven't come to all of the same conclusions are her, I feel just as "lost" from American evangelical Christianity and I'm less upset about that transition every day.

~     ~     ~

Even though it's still real hot down here in the South, I'm fully embracing fall. Boston was cold, but so good for my autumn-loving heart. Scarves and boots and fall food is coming. I'm plunging full force into my search for a scary Halloween read. Stay tuned for lots of thrilling reviews this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment