Friday, December 1, 2017

November 2017 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on my reading goals, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  

November News 


It's been a busy month. As we near the end of the semester, it always feels as though everything is happening at once and it all needs my immediate attention. I am so ready to be done for the semester. Just another week and a half to go! Of course, I already have a long list of things I want to accomplish over the break. What kind of person plans out and schedules their relaxation activities? Me. That's who.

As predicted, November proved too crazy to really do much NaNoWriMo work. I did pretty well for the first ten days or so. I didn't have a concrete idea, so I dug out the very first manuscript I ever wrote as an pre-teen and attempted to rework that. I actually got pretty excited about it; it's surprisingly not terrrible. Well, it's terribly written, but the bones of the thing are decent. Half way through the month, however, Kevin snagged me a temporary part-time job in his office reading applications. They only need extra help for a few weeks this time of year, but it's basically as many hours as I want for that time. So, I dropped NaNoWriMo and starting reading applications in every spare moment. I decided, though, to make a 2018 goal to write consistently. I'd like to finish 2018 having written the equivalent of 500 words per day. That's 182,500 words. If I can stick to it, I should be able to work through several projects and ideas I've had for ages.

As of this week, I'm back on the "healthy living" train. I was going to wait until January, but after eating pecan pie for breakfast over Thanksgiving, I realized I need to get moving now. I have four weeks between now and Christmas. That's plenty to actually put in some hard work and not just sit around eating Christmas cookies.

If you read the last few paragraphs, it will come as no surprise that November was not a super prolific reading month for me. I just had so much other happening that it was hard to prioritize. It wasn't my lowest month of the year, but it was close. I'm so looking forward to bingeing on some pleasure reads over the holidays. I'm also thinking a lot about the next reading challenge I want to take on, which I'll announce at the start of the year. 

Books Reviewed

  1. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - Karen Joy Fowler
  2. The Welcome Home Diner - Peggy Lampman
  3. The Kind Worth Killing - Peter Swanson
  4. Forever Chic - Tish Jett
  5. Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
  6. Origin - Dan Brown
  7. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp
  8. What Happened - Hillary Rodham Clinton

Books Read

  1. Origin - Dan Brown
  2. The 39 Clues: The Black Circle - Patrick Carman
  3. One Thousand Gifts - Ann Voskamp
  4. What Happened - Hillary Rodham Clinton
  5. The Three - Sarah Lotz
  6. Fierce Kingdom - Gin Phillips
  7. The 39 Clues: In Too Deep - Jude Watson
Pages Read: 2,359

Favorite Book Read: Honestly, I didn't love any of these books. I enjoyed them for what they were, but I just don't feel like I want to pick a favorite out of them. So, I'm not going to. My blog, my rules :) 

2017 Monthly Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 5 books every month:

Elsewhere Online...

I have a bunch of articles bookmarked to read later, but I'm just not going to get to them until after the semester ends. Hopefully, I'll have a lot of good stuff to share at the end of December, even if it is a bit outdated. 
~     ~     ~

It seems completely insane to me that it is already December. How did that happen? It's time to think about end of the year posts and new goals for the next year. I spent a long time looking at my upcoming course schedule the other day wondering why they had classes listed for a year from now. Then, I realize that 2018 starts in a month and felt stupid. 2017 has been a hard one for me in a lot of ways, so I'm hopeful to end of good note. I want December to be peaceful and fulfilling and full of love and good books. I hope yours is as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment