Monday, July 2, 2018

June 2018 Chapter

Welcome to the Read.Write.Repeat. monthly wrap-up.  Every month, I give a quick overview of what books I read, the progress made on my reading goals, a few book-related links, and general blog news.  

June News 

I feel like I start every monthly recap this year by describing how busy we are. If you're tired of the repetitive nature, I apologize. We really are just that busy, though.


June has been no exception. As you know, we traveling to Italy for the first two weeks of the month and that was delightful. Then, four days after our return, I started my new full time job. I've done three full weeks now and it's going really well. I feel as though I'm finally doing "real" work and not just observing/training. I still am confident that it's going to be a good fit. I'll be traveling for this job a decent amount and I already have my first two trips booked: a conference in Williamsburg, VA later in July and a visit to Knoxville, TN in late August. While both of those will be car trips, I am optimistic that I'll do a lot of flying in this job and, therefore, have lots of reading time.

Being back in a 40-hour office job has been good, but exhausting. I cannot describe to you how very tired I am on so many levels. I'm a little concerned that I will be out of town for five out of the next six weekends (for a variety of reasons) and so will not have weekend recouping time. That's been invaluable these past few weeks as I've adjusted to the new schedule. I'll make it work, though; I'm sure.

I did get in a lot of reading this month and it feels so good to be finding my rhythm again. I've been totally slashing my TBR and not finishing books right and left. Not finishing books (after starting them) is something I've basically never done. In the past, I've been a strong proponent of just pushing through to the end. These days, however, my reading time is precious and I am just not interested in wasting it on something I'm not enjoying.

Books Reviewed

Books Read

  1. I'm Still Here - Austin Channing Brown
  2. Bitter Greens - Kate Forsyth
  3. Final Girls - Riley Sager
  4. The Silent Wife - A. S. A. Harrison
  5. Grace for the Good Girl - Emily P. Freeman
  6. A Wind in the Door - Madeleine L'Engle
  7. Grace and Grit - Lilly Ledbetter
  8. Inspired - Rachel Held Evans
Pages Read: 2,344

Favorite Book Read: I loved Inspired, but I'm Still Here was just. so. good. I have to give it top honors for the month. 

2018 Goals 

One of my goals this year is to read 3 specific books each month:
  • 1 Faith-Centered or Philosophical Book 
    Grace for the Good Girl - Emily P. Freeman
    Inspired - Rachel Held Evans
  • 1 Political of Issue-Driven Book
    Grace and Grit - Lilly Ledbetter
  • 1 Book Written by a Minority Author
    I'm Still Here - Austin Channing Brown
I also am trying to work my way through my TBR list. My goal is to get from 350 books on the list to 200. That means lowering that number by 13 in some form or fashion every month. Here's how that went this month:
  • Books Read: 5
  • Books Removed: 13
  • Books Added: 5
  • Total Count for the Month: -13
  • Books Remaining on TBR: 261

Elsewhere Online...

Beth Moore is on fire lately. On Twitter and in this open letter she wrote to evangelical men.

~     ~     ~

As much as I'd love to be out in my hammock right now reading, it is crazy hot here. July in North Carolina is like a sauna, so I'm typing away indoors and thanking God we have working AC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment