Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Modern Romance - Aziz Ansari

Modern Romance
Title: Modern Romance
Author: Aziz Ansari
Publication Date: 6/16/15
Pages: 288
Genre: Self-Help / Nonfiction
How I Found It: Suzanne at Tattoed Missionary wrote about it
Date Completed: 2/16/17

Summary: A comedian writes a book about romance. While this is as entertaining as you'd expect, it's also surprisingly thoughtful and informative. 

What I Thought: I have read a good number of the popular comedian memoirs in the last few years. You may have read my reviews of them. I expected something similar to those here. This, however, is not a memoir.

Ansari, who I know from the awesome show Parks and Recreation, has written a book about romance. He partnered with researchers to do real honest-to-goodness research and studies. Just like Suzanne at Tattooed Missionary, I was really pleasantly surprised to see graphs and charts and research and everything. 

The actual content is fascinating. Nothing Ansari uncovered was particularly surprising. The romance world has changed drastically in the past couple generations and that change is manifesting itself in quite a few ways. Ansari digs into them. He talks online dating, social media, texting, expectations, marriage, international dating culture...he covers a wide berth here. And he does it all with his style, wit, and his typical comic approach. 

I think what I really liked about this book was getting actual info in an entertaining way. Like a even more substantial version of watching The Daily Show or Last Week Tonight as news shows (btw - love watching those shows, but you should always supplement with actual journalistic content). It's like how you would talk with a friend about the changing romance landscape - a really informed friend. If you're interested in the changes dating and relationships have undertaken in the modern world or if you just like Ansari's comedy, I think you'll enjoy this book.

Rating: ★★★☆☆
Will I Re-Read: Probably not
If You Liked This, Try: Why Not Me? / Yes Please 

A Reduced Review: Aziz Ansari explores the world of modern romance; it's entertaining, but also so informative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment